PE Curriculum Overview
" Inspiring us all to create a better world"
Matthew 5: 13-15 " You are the salt of the earth...you are the light of the world."
At Holmer C of E Academy, we utilise physical education as a vehicle to access our key curriculum drivers in a unique way which is afforded to us as a result of the subject’s clear differences to that of the other, predominantly classroom based, subjects. Physical education allows pupils to achieve in incremental steps no matter the activity/sport through targeted differentiation using the Get Set 4 PE program. This achievement then fosters and promotes the desire in pupils to be the best they can be across the curriculum. Through consistent verbal feedback and discussion around this, pupils understand that their choices allow them to become the best they can be and directly impacts their own life as it increases the opportunities which will be available to them and broadens their horizons. This is turn, allows children to develop a good overall awareness of their place in the world.
Therefore, all of our PE lessons are designed to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities including dance, gymnastics, invasion games, striking and fielding and athletics;
- are physically active for sustained periods of time;
- have the opportunity to be involved in competitive sports and activities;
- are able to lead, officiate and participate within lessons to give opportunities to develop sportsmanship and leadership;
- understand the benefits of daily activity and healthy lifestyle, and feel supported in achieving this;
- lead healthy, active lives.
All lessons are adaptive. This means teachers plan activities that enable the objective to be learned by all children including those who will find the objective challenging, those children who with hard work will secure good progress and those children who can tackle extra stretch and challenge in this subject.
The following is a guide to help you understand your child’s progression through school. The PE curriculum can be broken down further into the following areas:
PE Recommended reads...
Click here to find out more...